JOSEPH EDWIN BATCHELOR was serving as Private in 1st/1st Battalion, The Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars when he died of his wounds on 28th April 1915. He was aged 27 and is buried in  Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery.

He was the son of Frederick and Florence Batchelor of Cock Hill, Shutford and had worked as silk plush weaver. He enlisted into QOOH in June 1914 and arrived with them in France on 20th September 1914 the first Territorial Unit to do so. They saw early service in the autumn of 1914 in the doomed attempts to save Dunkirk and Antwerp from the German advance, and then fell into the routing of trench warfare, holding the line at Messines, just south of the Ypres salient. After experiencing a German gas attack in the second battle of Ypres in April 1915, which they warded off with primitive respirators. Private Batchelor was wounded in action during the First Battle of Ypres and died in the 10th Casualty Clearing Station in Hazebrouck.

EDWARD HUNT was serving as a Sergeant with the Alberta Regiment, 50th Battalion, The Canadian Infantry when he was killed in action on 11th May 1917. He was aged 28 and is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial, having no known grave.

He was the son of Thomas and Hannah Hunt of  Cock's Hill, Shutford and worked as a waggoner on a farm. On 4th May 1911 he boarded the SS Tunisian at Liverpool bound for Quebec, and a new life in Canada as a farmer. On 19th June 1915 he enlisted into the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force in Calgary. On 27th October 1915 he embarked with the 50th Battalion at Halifax and arrived in England on 6th November.

They were sent to France landing at Le Havre on 11th August 1916. He was promoted Lance Corporal on 27th July 1916 and the battalion was ordered to Ancre Heights in October. Ancre Heights was the scene of Canada's first involvement in the Battle of the Somme. From the Somme, the battalion was moved northward to Artois in November 1916, where they spent their winter and Christmas preparing for the offensive against Vimy Ridge. He was promoted to Corporal on 19th January 1917 and Sergeant on 11th April 1917. In that month the Canadians made their three-day offensive, starting the Battle of Vimy Ridge. The 50th Battalion and the rest of the 4th Canadian Division were assigned to attack Hill 145. After many attempts to capture the hill, they finally managed to take it from the Bavarian Reserve force. For the next two days, the 4th Canadian Division and 50th Battalion tried to attack the little knoll known as the Pimple. Finally, the Bavarians, low on food and having suffered many casualties, surrendered the Pimple and retreated from Vimy. The 50th, having suffered heavy casualties, were taken out of the line and rested for a while.

Sergeant Hunt was killed by a shell whilst manning trenches in the village of Lievin, south of Arras. His nephew Brian Daly was to die in the Second World War, see below.

GEORGE HENRY PAGE was serving as a Private with the 19th (Service) Battalion, The Manchester Regiment when he was killed in action on 31st July 1917. He was aged 24 and is commemorated on the Ypres Menin gate Memorial, having no known grave.

He was the son of George and Emma Page of the Grange, Shutford and worked on the family farm. In October 1911 he married Mabel Wealsby in Shutford. He enlisted in Banbury, firstly joining the East Surrey Regiment before joining the Manchesters in France. He was killed in action during the Battle of Pilckem Ridge, a phase of the Third Battle of Ypres.

THOMAS RICHARDS was serving as a Private with the 1st Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment when he was killed in action on 1st July 1916. He was aged 27 and is buried in Redan Ridge Cemetery No2, Beaumont-Hamel.

He was the son of John and Sarah Page of West Street, Shutford and worked as a waggoner. He married Ann Hancox and settled in Hornton. He enlisted into the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in Oxford. He was sent to France on 2nd June 1915,  joining the 1st Hampshires in the field. On 1st July 1916 the Battalion was in action during the Battle of Albert, the opening phase of the Somme Offensive. As part of the 11th Brigade in the 4th Divisionthey went over the top at 0730 and were quickly cut down by fierce German Machine Gun fire from all directions. Heavy casualties were taken with every single officer killed or wounded and huge losses in the other ranks, including Private Richards. The survivors of the Battalion spent the rest of the day sheltering in shell holes until making their way back to their starting points at nightfall.


BRIAN DALY was serving as a Private with the Parachute Regiment, Army Air Corps when he died on 27th December 1944. He was aged 24 and is buried in Coventry Windmill Road Cemetery.

He was the son of Louis Henry and Hannah Daly, of Longford, Coventry. His mother's maiden name was Hannah Hunt and had been born in Shutford, her brother being Edward Hunt, above. He enlisted in March 1943 and served with the Royal Army Service Corps before volunteering for Airborne Forces. He was on parachute course 86 at RAF Ringway between 4th and 19th October 1943. Upon the completion of this course he was posted to the Holding wing at Hardwick Hall, near Chesterfield. He was killed carrying out a balloon descent on the 27th December 1943, at the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment, Sherburn in Elmet, in Yorkshire.

JOHN WILLIAM HANCOCK was serving as a Private with the 2nd Battalion, The Somerset Light Infantry when he was killed in action on 23rd June 1944. He was aged 21 and is buried in Assisi War Cemetery, Italy.

He was the son of John Tustain and Emily Ethel Hancock of Shutford. In 1942, whilst serving in the army, he married Megan Grant of North Newington, in Broughton Parish church. He was killed in action in the Allied advance towards Rome.

He is also remembered on Broughton War Memorial.